Confederate Soldiers Monument, Stanley
The memorial is a tablestone style marker with a flat top. Beneath the caption on the front side is an engraved image of the Brevard’s Station train depot from which Confederate troops and provisions were transported during the war. The rear has colored images of the North Carolina state flag used during the war and the first Confederate States national flag. Inscriptions appear on both sides.
Images: Rear side
Front: CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS / MONUMENT / [Train Depot engraving] / FROM 1861 TO 1865 THE WILMINGTON, / CHARLOTTE AND RUTHERFORD RAILROAD / TRANSPORTED FROM BREVARD’S STATION / (PRESENT DAY STANLEY) OVER 1500 GASTON COUNTY / MEN AND PROVISIONS TO DEFEND / NORTH CAROLINA AND THE CONFEDERACY.
DEDICATED WITH APPRECIATION TO / STANLEY’S CITIZENS AND TOWN OFFICIALS / MAY 19, 2007
Rear: GASTON COUNTY’S MEN SERVED IN / 56 REGIMENTS AND 89 COMPANIES / INCLUDING THE CONFEDERATE NAVY. / FROM 1861 TO 1865 GASTON COUNTY / LOST OVER 344 MEN IN THE WAR / FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE.
ERECTED BY THE DESCENDANTS OF / CONFEDERATE VETERANS OF GASTON COUNTY
May 19, 2007
35.360920 , -81.094940 View in Geobrowse
Descendants of Confederate Veterans of Gaston County
Confederate Soldiers would meet at the Dallas Courthouse (see Gaston County Confederate Soldiers Monument) and march about 7 miles to Stanley (Brevard Station). From the station they would be taken by rail to Raleigh and prepare for war.
The Confederate Memorial is located in front of the Stanley Community Center, 113, E. College Street, Stanley, NC
The memorial marker stands on the grass under a shady tree.