64th NC Regiment and Woodfield Inn, Flat Rock
The memorial site has two large irregular shaped boulders standing roughly five feet tall. The stone on the left holds a bronze tablet commemorating Company E, 64th NC Regiment. The simple tablet contains an inscription with an unfurled Confederate battle flag above. The stone to the left holds a tablet for the Woodfield Inn, a famous resort for wealthy low country South Carolina plantation and business owners prior to the Civil War.
Images: Memorial site | Company E boulder | Company E tablet | Woodfield Inn boulder | Woodfield Inn tablet
Company E tablet: TROOPS OF COMPANY E. / 64TH REGIMENT C.S.A. / COMMANDED BY / CAPTAIN B.T. MORRIS / STATIONED HERE / ON GUARD DUTY / FOR SIX MONTHS / IN 1864
Woodfield Inn: FARMER HOTEL / NOW / WOODFIELD INN / BUILT IN 1852 / FAMOUS RESORT FOR VISITORS / FROM THE LOW COUNTRY / ON THEIR ANNUAL SUMMER TRIPS / TO THE / LITTLE CHARLESTON / OF THE MOUNTAINS / AT / FLAT ROCK / WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA / HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
Hasan Mansouri, current inn own
64th NC marker: October 24, 1959 Woodfield Inn: August 21, 1955
35.265960 , -82.441450 View in Geobrowse
Conway, Bob. “WNC Historians and UDC Honor N.C. Confederates,” Asheville Citizen-Times (Asheville, NC), October 25, 1959
Kelley, Leigh. “Woodfield Inn Gets New Owner,” Times-News (Hendersonville, NC), May 15, 2009, (accessed July 15, 2020) Link
“Front View, Woodfield Inn, Flat Rock, Henderson County, NC,” Preservation North Carolina Historic Architecture Slide Collection, 1965-2005 (PNC slides) Preservation North Carolina Link
“Unveiling of Historical Flat Rock Inn Marker Set” Asheville Citizen-Times (Asheville, NC), August 7, 1955
Granite boulders, bronze tablets
64th NC marker: Western NC Historical Association and Margaret Davis Hayes Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy <br> Woodfield Inn marker: Western NC Historical Association
Dr. CC Crittenden, director of the NC Department of Archives and History was the key note speaker for both dedications.
The Woodfield Inn is now called the Mansouri Mansion.
Built in 1850 as the Farmer Hotel, the roadside inn was financed by 10 summer residents who put up $1,000 each, according to a history synopsis on the village of Flat Rock website. During the Civil War, coastal South Carolinians found a haven at the inn and for a time a company of soldiers remained on the grounds for the safety of the people in residence, the account said. The inn now mostly functions as a private residence.
Markers are located by the Mansouri Mansion, 2905 Greenville Highway Flat Rock NC 28731.
Memorial markers stand on well-maintained grounds of the Inn with historic buildings and shady trees serving as their picturesque background.