Documenting the American South Logo
Collections >> North Carolinians and the Great War, The North Carolina Experience >> Document Menu >> List of Illustrations
Arthur Lloyd Fletcher, 1881-
History of the 113th Field Artillery 30th Division.
Raleigh, N.C.: The History Committee of the 113th F.A., 1920.
List of Illustrations

[Spine Image]

[Cover Image]

[Frontispiece Image]

[Title Page Image]

[Title Page Verso Image]

Insignia of Organizations With Which the 113th F. A. Served

The Victory Medal

This picture in an enlargement from a kodak picture made by Captain Reid R. Morrison, of Battery F. The One Hundred and Thirteenth was equipped with 24 of these wonderful guns.

Lieutenant-Colonel Sidney C. Chambers.

Major Thaddeus G. Stem, Commanding the First Battalion.

Major Alfred L. Bulwinkle, Commanding the Second Battalion.

Major Claude L. Pridgen, Regimental Surgeon.

Major Louis B. Crayton, who commanded Battery E until promoted in February, 1919.

Major Lennox P. McLendon, who commanded Battery C throughout its service at home and in France until promoted in February, 1919.

Major Robert M. Hanes, in command of Battery A until promoted in February, 1919.

Captain Gustaf R. Westfeldt, Jr., Regimental Adjutant and Operations Officer.

Captain Kenneth M. Hardison, Adjutant of the First Battalion.

Captain Robert P. Beaman, Adjutant of the Second Battalion.

Captain Alfred W. Horton, Regimental Personnel Officer.

First Lieutenant William P. Whittaker, Regimental Gas Officer.

First Lieutenant Christian E. Mears, Regimental Radio and Telephone Officer.

Chaplain Benjamin R. Lacy, Jr.

First Lieutenant Joseph Lonergon, of the Supply Company, Regimental Munitions Officer.

Camp of the One Hundred and Thirteenth Field Artillery, Camp Sevier, S. C., with the regiment in the foreground.

Camp of the One Hundred and Thirteenth Field Artillery, Camp Sevier, S. C., with the regiment in the foreground.

"Call this soldiering if you want to!" Men of the regiment clearing away the forest to make a parade ground.

At Drill with wooden guns. This is Battery D.

Battery C drilling with wooden guns. It takes imagination to see it, but this picture shows a 3-inch American gun and gun limber.

(1) Regimental Street under snow. (2) A Detail engaged in Flooring Tents. (3) Battery C's Rolling Kitchen, completely covered with Cooks and K. P.'s. (4) "Danger," the famous Pit Bull Mascot of the Supply Company at "Attention." (5) Snapshot of the Officers' Club House. (6) A Section of the Camp. (7) Looking up Regimental Street toward Headquarters. (8) Lining up for Chow. (9) "Asa," the Mascot of Battery A, saddled and ready for action.

The Twin Water Towers that decorated the hill-top and never furnished an adequate supply of water. Al the left an observation tower. The Regimental Guard-house, a stone structure built by Napoleon I, a few feet off to the right, was mercifully left out of the picture.

The Entrance of the Camp. Here a watchful M. P. outfit looked them over going and coming. This picture was taken before the era of American Occupation, as the ornaments in the foreground plainly show.

Snowing the street back of the men's quarters. These stone
barracks were built by Napoleon I. The first building was part of Headquarters Company's territory, with Battery A next and running on down to the building at the end of the street which housed the Supply Company.

The interesting part of this picture is the structure at the right with many glass windows, known as the "Officers' Club," where officers not fortunate enough to have company messes existed on French rations, vin rouge and blanc, et cetera.

SEPTEMBER 12, 1918

This picture was taken at a point near Flirey. The road sign intruding at the left directs the traveler to Essey, Fresnes en Woëvre and Beney, all of which were in German hands when Americans began to travel this road.

French Dug-outs near Flirey, on the St. Mihiel sector.

Entrance to a hidden Concrete Machine Gun Nest on the St. Mihiel front.

This point was headquarters of the 89th Division during the St. Mihiel offensive for a time and it also served as headquarters of the 55th F. A. Brigade during the same engagement. It was near Flirey.

One o'clock on the morning of September 12, 1918 on the St. Mihiel front. In the four hours following American guns fired more than one million rounds of ammunition.

Before daybreak on the St. Mihiel front on the morning of September 12, 1918. All of the light for the making of this photograph came from the flashes of guns.

Fast action in the St. Mihiel drive, when there was no time to think of concealment.

Lieut. Allan W. Douglass, of Battery E, was killed near Limey on the morning of September 12, 1918. He was buried not far from where he fell. Colonel Cox and his orderly were the only members of the regiment present. The German prisoners in the picture dug the grave. A passing Y. M. C. A. man conducted the funeral service.

A typical German cemetery. This one is near Boullionville in the St. Mihiel sector.

A Regulation German "Pill-Box." This one was captured by the Americans at St. Mihiel before the Boche had been able to complete it and camouflage it.

Ruins of the old church at Flirey, on the St. Mihiel sector.

Ruins of the "Gare" at Jaulny, a little town near Thiacourt, not far from the positions occupied by the First Battalion on September 15, 1918.

One of the Batteries of the One Hundred and Thirteenth Field Artillery seeking a billet in a ruined French village on the long hard hike from the St. Mihiel Front to the Argonne.

SEPT. 26th 1918

Looking down on Recicourt from the hill at the south. A section of the town at the right. Structures along the white macadam road were used as regimental headquarters October 8-9, 1918. Battery B will long remember the shelling it underwent on the road leading up over the hill as it was going into position for the Battle of the Argonne.

On the march in the Argonne. German prisoners resting by the road-side.

Familiar type of German Concrete Machine Gun Nest in the Argonne Forest

The Road to Avocourt that leads to Montfaucon.

All that was left of a once important village after American artillery had finished with it. It was one of Germany's most formidable strongholds.

A stretch of No-Man's Land between Ivoiry and Montfaucon.

Ruins of the Fine Old Cathedral at Montfaucon.

Every man who served in the regiment will have many pictures like this in his mind--trucks, caissons, fourgons and "slat wagons" struggling along through the mud and long, straggling lines of engineer and pioneer infantry lads carrying German shell baskets full of rocks and dumping them into the mud-holes.


Forward Observation Post used by the One Hundred and Thirteenth Field Artillery on the top of the ridge at Montfaucon.

Looking toward Cierges across the shell-pitted fields where many hundreds of American soldiers died.

Woevre or Troyon Sector occupied by 113th F. A. at signing of Armistice

A snugly hidden, well-camouflaged battery position on the Woëvre sector.

One of the thousands of stacks of German ammunition left at old battery positions in the Foret de la Montagne by the Boche when he left that area hurriedly on September 12, 1918. This stack was near the Grand Tranchee.

View of a section of Verdun. Many officers and men of the regiment visited this famous town after the Armistice. The regiment was only 40 kilometres away from Verdun while on the Woëvre, or Troyon sector.

One of the best-preserved buildings in Vaux, a little French village half way between the regimental positions in the Foret de la Montagne and Troyon. Vaux, St. Remy, Dommartain, Herbeuville and Hannonville were almost completely demolished.

The beautiful log bungalow used as regimental headquarters on the Woëvre sector. Colonel Cox and Lieutenant Colonel Chambers in the picture. This building had been used by a German brigade commander, prior to the American invasion.


Top row--left to right: 1st Lieut. J. P. Dodge, 1st Lieut. W. B. Duncan, 1st Lieut. Eugene Allison, 1st Lieut. M. S. Barnett, 1st Lieut. W. P. Whittaker, 2d Lieut. J. F. McManus, 2d Lieut. I. S. Suplee, 2d Lieut. A. J. Chapman, 2d Lieut. C. R. Dosker. 2d row--left to right: 2d Lieut. W. T. Chiles, 1st Lieut. W. E. Baugham, 1st Lieut. C. K. Burgess, 1st Lieut. W. A. Crenshaw, 2d Lieut. E. J. Higgins, 2d Lieut. E. M. Heddon. 3d row--left to right: Capt. W. V. Bowman, Capt. P. B. Smith, 1st Lieut. H. C. Bennett, Capt. E. E. Boyce, 1st Lieut. C. E. Mears, 1st Lieut. O. H. Guion, 1st Lieut. Joel W. Massey, 1st Lieut. L. C. Hand. 4th row--left to right: Capt. N. B. Vairin, Capt. R. R. Morrison, Maj. L. P. McLendon, Chaplain B. R. Lacy, Maj. L. B. Crayton, Maj. R. M. Hanes, 1st Lieut. J. G. Hoffman. Bottom row--left to right: Capt. R. P. Beaman, Maj. A. L. Bulwinkle, Maj. C. L. Pridgen, Col. Albert L. Cox, Lieut.-Col. S. C. Chambers, Maj. T. G. Stem, Capt. K. M. Hardison, Capt. R. D. Dixon, Capt. B. S. Royster.

The Supply Company on the march in France.

Battery C in camp on the banks of the Moselle River, at Stradtbredimus. On the other side of the river is the German town of Palzem.

Battery C of the One Hundred and Thirteenth Field Artillery, marching through historic Luxemburg city, with Capt. (later Major) Lennox P. McLendon at its head.

A snapshot of Battery D passing through a little French village on the long march toward northern Luxemburg.

Battery A man using his gun as a dinner table on the march into Luxemburg to join the Army of Occupation.

Steam up and Ready to go, but no French "Pilot." This is a picture of the train that carried the One Hundred and Thirteenth Field Artillery from Trondes to Evron.

"Hommes 40--Chevaux 8" was the familiar inscription on all French box-cars, but this is an American box-car and "Hommes 60" were crowded into it. This shows part of Battery C at Trondes waiting for the train to start toward Le Mans and home.

Officers of the One Hundred and Thirteenth Field Artillery and N. C. O. regimental staff in field equipment. This picture was made at Le Mans, France.

On Board the U. S. S. Santa Teresa, bound for home.

A choppy sea, viewed from the forward deck of the U. S. S. Santa Teresa.

At Sea. A typical view from the deck of the Santa Teresa.

Battery B on the march through the streets of Newport News, Va., with Lieut. LeRoy C. Hand in command. They are getting the "feel" of American soil again and it is good.

One of the biggest crowds that ever gathered in Raleigh was there to welcome the regiment home. Fayetteville Street, with the State Capitol in the background.

Headquarters Company marching through the streets of Newport News, Va., on March 18, 1919.
Just off of the Santa Teresa.

The Reviewing Stand on Fayetteville Street, with Governor and Mrs. Bickett, Mayor Johnson, of Raleigh, and other notables in the foreground. Confederate veterans from the Soldiers' home in the background.

Group of veteran First Sergeants. Two of these, First Sergeant Blount, of Battery B, and First Sergeant Harris, of Battery A, were Saumur graduates and were attached to their old batteries. First Sergeant Tuttle, of Battery E, was the only one of the group to serve as "Top" from the organization of his outfit to demobilization. Left to right they are: Top row--Henderson, Headquarters Company; Crowell, Battery D; Bell, Battery A. Middle row--Blount, Battery B; Harris, Battery A; Hill, Battery F. Bottom row--Carroll, Battery C; Latham, Battery B; Tuttle, Battery E; Conrad, Supply Company.

Part of the Regimental N. C. O. Staff--Left to right: R. S. M. Jacob E. Lambert, Jr., R. S. M. William A. Allen, R. S. M. Kenneth J. Nixon, B. S. M. Hugh A. Pollard, R. S. M. Laudie E. Dimmette.

At the Top--Left to right: Bat. Sgt. Major Marvin M. Capps and Corporal E. W. Harrington. Center: Sergeant Arthur B. Corey.
At Bottom--Left to right: Color Sergeants George N. Taylor and Wilbon O. Huntley.

Captain Erskine E. Boyce, Commanding Headquarters Company.

Headquarters Company.

Headquarters Company.

Battery A.

Battery A.

Captain Beverly S. Royster, Jr., Commanding Battery A.

Captain Wiley C. Rodman, Commanding Battery B. Acting Adjutant First
Battalion prior to demobilization.

Battery B.

Battery B.

First Lieutenant LeRoy C. Hand, of Battery B. He commanded the battery while Captain Rodman was serving as adjutant of the First Battalion.

Captain Richard D. Dixon, Commanding Battery C.

Battery C.

Battery C.

Sergeant Wyatt T. Dixon, Veteran Battery Clerk of C Battery, the only man in the regiment to serve in this capacity throughout the regiment's history.

Battery D.

Battery D.

Captain Nugent B. Vairin, Jr., Commanding Battery D.

Captain Wade V. Bowman, Commanding Battery E.

Battery E.

Battery E.

Battery F.

Battery F.

Captain Reid R. Morrison, Commanding Battery F.

Sanitary Detachment.

Captain A. L. Fletcher, who commanded the Supply Company from organization to February 1, 1919.

The Supply Company.

Captain Park B. Smith, Commanding the Supply Company from February
1, 1919 to muster-out.

Lieutenant Jacques J. L.
Popelin, of the French Army.

The Dental Corps filling a cavity under shell-fire in the Argonne.

Major Bulwinkle's captured German Cow "wearing her gas mask and four gallons of milk, in alert position."

"Dead Soldiers" we have known.

"War is Hell" (Sherman). Ask any soldier of the One Hundred and Thirteenth Field Artillery about "Hell on Wheels."

The report that Private Doe was wounded at the front was misleading.

The U. S. S. Santa Teresa. This picture was taken at Newport News, Va., just before the regiment began to leave the vessel.

Departing K. P.--"Right here, Bill, is where you and me and this here range separates. I done heard too much about them German range-finders."


Brigadier General George G. Gatley, the First
Commanding General of the 55th Field
Artillery Brigade.

Pvt. 1st Class J. W. Pittman, of Headquarters Company.

Pvt. 1st Class J. W. Melton, of Battery E.

Pvt. George G. Barnes, of Battery E.

Pvt. 1st Class Robey E. Campbell, of Battery E.

First Lieutenant Allan W. Douglass, of Battery E.

Pvt. Robert L. Alston, of Battery E.