Memorial to British Troops, Snow Hill
The memorial was created by embedding an old mill grindstone upright in a square poured concrete foundation. A rectangular metal plaque is centered in the face of the grindstone.
A MEMORIAL TO BRITISH TROOPS WHO DIED IN / THE OLD MEETING HOUSE DURING CORNWALLIS’ / ENCAMPMENT HERE ON HIS RETREAT FRONT / GUILDFORD COURT HOUSE MARCH 1781.
ERECTED BY TROOP 46 B.S.A. HENRY OVERMAN / LEADER WHO DIED BEFORE COMPLETING IT.
Cane Creek Church
April 13, 1941
35.890080 , -79.445360 View in Geobrowse
“A Memorial to British Troops Who Died in the Old Meeting House,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed May 25, 2022) Link
“Cane Creek Church Survives Setbacks,” The Daily Times-News (Burlington, NC), May 14, 1954
“Cane Creek Marker to Be Unveiled Monday Honoring British Troops Who Died There,” Durham Morning Herald (Durham, NC), April 11, 1941
“Illness Is Fatal to Scout Leader,” The Daily Times-News (Burlington, NC), August 12, 1940
Granite, concrete, metal
Henry Overman and Boy Scout Troop 46
The Easter morning dedication ceremony included a memoriam to Henry J. Overman, leader of troop 46 who had died the previous year. A British flag donated by the King of England, George VI, through efforts of Overman veiled the memorial prior to its dedication.
During General Cornwallis and his British troops retreat from the battle at Guildford Courthouse they camped behind the Cane Creek Meeting house. Some of the troops that had been wounded died in the meeting house and were buried in the cemetery.
The memorial was the idea of Henry Jackson Overman who died unexpectedly at the age of 38 in August 1940. A school teacher, he was also nationally recognized for his work in rural Boy Scouting. The memorial was in progress when he died. In his possession at the time of his death was a flag given by the King of England to use in the memorial unveiling.
The marker is located in the cemetery of the Cane Creek Friends Meeting House. The church address is 719 West Greensboro-Chapel Hill Road, Snow Camp, NC 27349.
The open lawn of the cemetery behind the church is defined by roadways on two sides and a stand of mature trees on the other two sides.