Source: John Motley Morehead
Bust of John Motley Morehead, State Capitol, Raleigh
John Motley Morehead was the first governor to serve in the Capitol for a full term from 1840-1845, is portrayed in this marble bust, which sits in the rotunda of the North Carolina Capitol building. The corners of Morehead's mouth are turned slightly upwards as if he is about to smile; he wears a high-collared shirt, a vest, and jacket complete with bow tie.
Front: JOHN M. MOREHAD / 1796-1866
State of North Carolina and the North Carolina Historical Commission
December 4, 1912
35.780370 , -78.639090 View in Geobrowse
"Folder 92_R16_C244b4: Raleigh, Wake County: Capitol Building: Scan 6," in the North Carolina County Photographic Collection #P0001, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
"John Morehead Bust in Rotunda," Flickr, (accessed December 12, 2011) Link
"Visit the North Carolina State Capitol," North Carolina Historic Sites, https://historicsites.nc.gov, (accessed April 9, 2019) Link
Connor, R. D. W., John Motely Morehead, J. Bryan Grimes, and James Yadkin Joyner. Exercises in Connection with the Presentation to the State by the North Carolina Historical Commission of a Bust of John Motley Morehead : Hall of the House of Representatives, December 4, 1912 (1912), (accessed December 11, 2011) Link
Konkle, Burton Alva. John Motley Morehead and the Development of North Carolina, 1796-1866, (Philadelphia, PA: William J. Campbell, 1922), (accessed May 16, 2012) Link
The bust was donated by Morehead's grandsons, John Motley Morehead and J. Lindsay Patterson.
R.D.W. Connor, J. Brian Grimes, and the J.Y. Joyner (Superintendent of Public Instruction) all gave addresses at the dedication.
John Motley Morehead, a UNC alumnus, was the governor of North Carolina from 1841 to 1848. He was known for his contribution in the construction of the railroad systems in North Carolina and for his advocacy of public education.
The bust is located in the North Carolina Sate Capitol building in the rotunda on the first floor of the building. The bust accompanies nine other plaques and busts which are located around the rotunda; a 1970 copy of Antonio Canova's original statue of George Washington sits in the center.