John D. Xanthos Statue, Graham
John D. Xanthos, a prominent Alamance County attorney and public defender, is depicted in bronze, confidently striding forward. Dressed in a suit and wearing glasses, the figure holds a briefcase in his right hand and a stack of papers in his left.
Images: Bust | View from right | Plaque
JOHN D. XANTHOS / DEC. 8, 1916 - JUNE 8, 1991 / THE PEOPLE'S ADVOCATE
Town of Graham
36.069110 , -79.403200 View in Geobrowse
Alamance County attorneys and friends of Xanthos
John D. Xanthos (1916-1991) was an attorney in Graham. He dedicated his life to serving the public in both his career and personal life. He began practicing law in 1946, shortly after returning to the United States as a WWII Veteran. The Wilmington native and World War II veteran was an active volunteer with the Burlington chapter of the Lions Club, the American Cancer Society and the American Red Cross.
The monument is located in front of the Alamance County Criminal Courts 2-story building on Elm Street, in Graham, NC.
The statue stands on the walkway to the right of the front entrance to the building, inches from the exterior windows. The lawn and low plantings are adjacent to the walkway.
The statue was originally located next to the U.S. Bicentennial Marker at the front entrance of the Alamance County Civil Courts Building, a block away on Elm Street. It was relocated sometime between 2010 and 2012.
A committee led by then Register of Deeds David Barber commissioned the statue in 1999.