Haywood County Confederate Monument, Waynesville
A rectangular 20 by 28 in bronze plaque set in a 5 by 6 foot boulder.
Centered beneath the date on the plaque (1861 - 1865) is the seal of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Images: Bronze plaque
1861 – 1865 / TO HONOR AND COMMEMORATE / THE CONFEDERATE VETERANS / OF HAYWOOD COUNTY / ERECTED BY THE HAYWOOD CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / 1940
July 12, 1940
35.492380 , -82.986840 View in Geobrowse
Johnson, Becky. "Confederate supporters protest flag removal at courthouse," Smoky Mountain News at http://www.smokymountainnews.com, August 8, 2012, (accessed November 16, 2014) Link
Ostendorff, Jon. "N.C. County Moves to Limit Display of Confederate Flags," reprinted from Citizen-Times (Asheville N.C.), Nov. 20, 2012, usatoday.com, (accessed November 21, 2020) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Twenty-First Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at Kinston, North Carolina, October 10, 11, 12, 1917 ([United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1917]), 120, (accessed September 7, 2012) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Twenty-Third Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at High Point, North Carolina, October 8, 9, 10, 1919 (Raleigh, N.C.: Edwards & Broughton Printing Co.), 98, (accessed September 10, 2012) Link
“U.D.C. Chapter to Unveil Marker Friday Afternoon,” Waynesville Mountaineer, (Waynesville, NC), July 11, 1940.
Haywood County Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy with the support of the county board of commissioners
The dedication took place on July 12th, 1940. The ceremony included a principle address by Col. J. Harden Howell. The dedication included an unveiling by two local young women, Haseltine Swift and Catherine Martin, and a wreath laying by Mrs. C. F. Kirkpatrick. The celebration was attended by 96 year-old Confederate Veteran J. M. Wood of Waynesville. According to the article, he was one of three remaining veterans in the county at the time. The monument was dedicated to honor the confederate veterans of the three companies from Haywood County.
The boulder was donated for the purpose by county commissioners George A. Brown, Jr., Frank M. Davis, and R. T. Boyd in 1940.
Although originally dedicated without controversy, in 2012 the county attempted to ban the use of the Confederate Flag (the “Stars and Bars”) on public property resulting in several protests and attempted legal action by local groups. The county does allow the Confederate First National Flag to be placed at the site on Confederate Memorial Day, but local devotees hope to have the ban removed entirely. The controversy grew even more heated when supporters recruited the help of Kirk Lyons, a lawyer from Black Mountain. Lyons is known for representing members of the Aryan Nations and the Ku Klux Klan in the 1980s. Lyons’ involvement sparked protests from the community.
The marker is located in front of the Old Haywood County Courthouse, 215 N. Main Street, Waynesville, NC. It is positioned so that the flat, broad face containing the plaque is squarely facing North Main Street. Also located nearby are the Haywood County All Veterans Memorial, the Haywood County Korean War Memorial, the Memorial Tablet to Revolutionary Soldiers, 1776 Militia Rifleman statue, and the Haywood County Vietnam Memorial.
The monument is located at the front corner of the grass lawn of the Old Haywood County Court House.
Plans to build the monument began in 1917 with the securing of land next to the Courthouse to build a park where the monument would be erected. By 1919 the Leglisature, through Judge Ferguson, had donated $2,000 toward the effort.