Mecklenburg County World War Two/Charlotte Quartermaster Depot Memorial, Evergreen Cemetery, Charlotte
The World War Two memorial stands about twenty feet tall and faces the heavily traveled Central Avenue. The blue granite structure has two wings coming off of a central shaft that list the 507 Mecklenburg County residents who gave their lives during World War Two. The shaft is comprised of four sections. The second section from the top is engraved with a large American eagle with wings lifted high. Each wing of the memorial has a smaller shaft at the end and center. Near the top of each shaft is engraved a different military branch coat of arms.
The bronze plaque is actually a separate memorial that was originally located at the Charlotte Quartermaster Depot and dedicated several months before the memorial to which it is now attached. It had been placed in memory of 5170 war dead whose bodies rested at the depot on their way from foreign cemeteries to their final resting place.
Images: General view | Front inscriptions | Rear view | Left wing 1 | Left wing 2 | Right wing 1 | Right wing 2
Front (Top): DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF / THE MECKLENBURG HEROES OF / WORLD WAR II WHO MADE THE / SUPREME SACRIFICE THAT YOU / MIGHT LIVE IN LIBERTY, / FREEDOM AND PEACE.
Front (Bronze Plaque): THIS MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED / TO THE MEMORY OF / THE 5,170 WORLD WAR II DEAD / WHO RESTED IN THIS AREA PRIOR TO / BEING RETURNED TO THEIR LOVED ONES / BY / THE AMERICAN GRAVES REGISTRATION / DIVISION / CHARLOTTE / QUARTERMASTER DEPOT / BETWEEN 1 OCTOBER 1947 / AND 15 JANUARY 1949
Front (Bottom): MECKLENBURG COUNTY GOLD / STAR MOTHERS' CLUB, INC. / 1949
City of Charlotte, NC
World War Two Memorial: December 11, 1949. Quartermaster Depot plaque: June 24, 1949
35.213430 , -80.769880 View in Geobrowse
"Evergreen Cemetery WWII Memorial - Charlotte, NC," Waymarking.com, (accessed June 13, 2014) Link
"Gold Star Mothers Rites Sunday,” Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), December 8, 1949
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library. "Cemeteries of Mecklenburg County: Evergreen Cemetery," The Charlotte - Mecklenburg Story, (accessed April 18, 2019) Link
“Plaque Is Dedicated by General Feldman,” Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), June 25, 1949
“War Mothers New Memorial Is Dedicated,” Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), December 12, 1949
Blue granite shaft, bronze plaque
Mecklenburg County Gold Star Mother’s Club, Inc.
World War Two Memorial unveiling: The dedicatory speech was delivered by Rev. James B. Ficklen, pastor of Covenant Presbyterian Church. Short speeches were also given by Sid Y. McArden, county commissioners’ board chairman and Col. Fredrick Dennis, commander of the Charlotte Quartermaster Depot. The unveiling was performed by Judy Ring and Frank Burns who were among the first Mecklenburg County children to lose their fathers during World War Two.
Charlotte Quartermaster Depot unveiling: The Quartermaster General of the United States Army, Major General Herman Feldman performed the unveiling and gave a short dedication speech.
This memorial is located at the main entrance to the Evergreen Cemetery, 4426 Central Avenue, Charlotte, NC. The cemetery is owned by the City of Charlotte. The monument is facing Central Avenue across from several shopping centers.
There is a walking path and several bushes decorating the area around the monument.
The Quartermaster Depot was located at 1830 Statesville Road until closing in 1952. It appears the plaque was attached to the World War Two monument prior to 1985.