Evergreen Cemetery Veterans' Rest Fountain, Charlotte
The granite rest fountain sits about four feet high and features a bronze eagle affixed atop a small pool of water. The base of the fountain is a granite square and each of the four faces feature an inscription. No water was flowing through the statue and it appears to be turned off. There is an American flag on top of a pole right next to the fountain. Four smaller granite markers sit inside the traffic circle along with the granite fountain.
Images: Front view of the fountain | Rear view | Right inscription | Left inscription | Rear inscription
Front: VETERANS' REST
Right: THIS PLOT DEDICATED FOR BURIAL / OF VETERANS OF ALL WARS BY CITY / OF CHARLOTTE AND MECKLENBURG / COUNTY.
Rear: SPONSORED BY MECKLENBURG / COUNTY COUNCIL OF AMERICAN / LEGION IN YEAR 1948
Left: COMMITTEE / JAMES M. YANDLE, CHAIRMAN / WALTER J. BLACK / GEO. B. LIVINGSTON / J. MACK MUNDAY / BRUCE WINGATE
City Of Charlotte, NC
November 11, 1948
35.211520 , -80.769710 View in Geobrowse
"Evergreen Cemetery Veterans' Rest Fountain - Charlotte, NC," Waymarking.com, (accessed June 12, 2014) Link
"Plot Is Dedicated in Armistice Rites,” Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), November 12, 1948
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library. "Cemeteries of Mecklenburg County: Evergreen Cemetery," The Charlotte - Mecklenburg Story, (accessed April 18, 2019) Link
“Contract Let for Memorial,” Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), May 15, 1948
Granite, Bronze eagle
Mecklenburg County Council of American Legion: James M. Yandle, Walter J. Black, Geo. B. Livingston, J. Mack Munday, Bruce Wingate
Colonel Wiley Pickens of Raleigh, executive vice commander of the North Carolina American Legion department was the featured speaker.
The rest fountain was constructed shortly after WWII, but is described to remember veterans of all wars. The fountain was designed to be a peaceful place for veterans to visit when seeing loved ones at the cemetery.
Located in the middle of a traffic circle in the interior of the Evergreen Cemetery.
Grass surrounds the fountain along with a landscaped walking path for visitors.