Source: Maryland Monument
Maryland Monument, Guilford Courthouse
The monument is a five-foot roughhewn cube of Maryland granite with two bronze tablets: one bearing the Maryland Coat of Arms and the other an inscription to the Maryland soldiers who fought at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse. The inscription was written by Professor Edward Graham Daves, a member of the Maryland Historical Society.
MARYLAND'S TRIBUTE TO / HER HEROIC DEAD. / --- / ERECTED BY MEMBERS OF / THE MARYLAND HISTORICAL / SOCIETY / IN MEMORY OF THE SOLDIERS / OF THE MARYLAND LINE. / 1781-1892 / --- / NON OMNIS MORIAR
Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
October 15, 1892
36.134040 , -79.842150 View in Geobrowse
"Guilford Courthouse: Historic Monument Pictures," National Park Service, (accessed November 30, 2011) Link
"Monument for Guilford Battle-Field," The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), February 5, 1892 Link
"The Maryland Monument. Unveiled Yesterday at Guilford Battle Ground," The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), October 16, 1892, 1 Link
A Memorial Volume of the Guilford Battle Ground Company, (Greensboro, NC: Guilford Battleground Company, 1893), 1-27, (accessed February 8, 2012) Link
Alderman, A. E. An Address, Delivered Oct. 15th 1892 by Professor A. E. Alderman, at the Guilford Battle Ground, on the Occasion of the Dedication of the Monument to the Maryland Soldiers, (Greensboro, NC: Guilford Battle Ground Company, 1893), (accessed May 15, 2012) Link
Folder 0615: Greensboro: Guilford Courthouse National Military Park: Monument to the Maryland Line, circa 1892: Scan 1, in the North Carolina County Photographic Collection #P0001, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (accessed January 18, 2020) Link
Folder 20 in David Schenck Papers, #652, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, see scans 98-106 Link
Guilford Battle Ground Company. Extracts from the Memorial Volume of the Guilford Battle Ground Company, Greensborough, NC, 1894, (Greensboro, NC: Guilford Battle Ground Company, 1894), (accessed May 15, 2012) Link
Van Noppen, Addie. The Battle Field of Guilford Court House, (Greensboro, NC: Jos. J. Stone & Company, 1927), (accessed February 6, 2012) Link
“Guilford’s Battle-Ground,” Greensboro North State (Greensboro, NC), October 6, 1887
“Maryland Monument at Guilford,” The Baltimore Sun (Baltimore, MD), September 30, 1892
“The Maryland Monument,” The Western Sentinel (Winston-Salem, NC), November 26, 1891
Maryland granite, bronze tablets
Maryland Historical Society
$350 was budgeted cost
B.F. Dixon provided an opening prayer. Professor Edward Graham Daves of Baltimore gave a speech "Maryland and North Carolina in the Campaign of 1780-1781." Professor E. A. Alderman also spoke on behalf of the Guilford Battle Ground Company. The crowd next sang "The Old North State" before marching to the monument where Mrs. Edith Hagen recited a poem by Mrs. E. D. Hundley. Finally the monument was unveiled while the song "Honour the Brave" was played.
The idea of a memorial to Maryland soldiers was first broached by David Schenck, President of the Guilford Battle Ground Company. In September or October of 1887, Schenck wrote a letter to the mayor of Baltimore. In part it said “We now appeal to your patriotic pride and public spirit to erect a granite monument worthy of the soldiers of Maryland, who humbled British pride…” Nothing transpired until June 1891 when Professor Edward Graham Daves proposed that the Maryland Historical Society undertake the project.
Bronze tablets designed by Dr. A.J. Volck: Baltimore, Maryland.
The monument stands on a small hill surrounded by mature trees and bushes.