McDowell County Confederate Veterans, Oak Grove Cemetery, Marion
Two large stone columns flank the entrance to the Oak Grove Cemetery in Marion. The columns
carry bronze plaques dedicated to the memory of Confederate veterans. Above each
inscription is a pair of furled Confederate flags. The columns were dedicated in 1943, the
plaques although dated 1941 were added after World War Two.
Images: Left plaque | Right plaque
Plaque, left column: IN MEMORY / OF THE / CONFEDERATE / VETERANS / OF / MCDOWELL /
COUNTY / 1861-1865
Plaque, right column: ERECTED 1941 BY / UNITED DAUGHTERS / OF THE / CONFEDERACY / OF / MARION / IN HONOR OF THE MEN / OF MCDOWELL COUNTY / WHO DIED IN THE CAUSE / OF THE / CONFEDERATE STATES
City of Marion
May 9, 1943
35.676550 , -81.997400 View in Geobrowse
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 208-209, 224, 227
“Oak Grove Cemetery,” http://www.findagrave.com, (accessed September 25, 2015) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy
Former Governor Clyde R. Hoey was the featured dedication speaker.
Efforts began for this memorial in 1941. Speculation is the bronze markers were not placed until after World War Two due to metal shortages created by the needs of the armaments industry.
The Oak Grove Cemetery is located on the 900 block of Rutherford Road (Hwy. 226/Business 221).
The entrance to the Oak Grove Cemetery is right across from some business buildings and parking area.