In Memory of Six Sons of Thomas and Mary Avera, Erwin
The marker was placed in memory of the six sons of Thomas and Mary Avera that all served for
North Carolina during the Civil War. Only one returned home alive. It stands just over five feet
tall consisting of a granite block 24 inches wide and 8 inches thick on a granite base with a
concrete pad for the foundation. Incised at the top of the monuments front face is a
Confederate Cross of Honor. This symbol is often seen on the tombstones of Confederate
veterans who served honorably. At the bottom beneath the inscription are five stars formed
into a circle. A marker to the history of
Old Averasborough and a memorial to Company B, 10 Battalion,
NC Heavy Artillery form a triangle on
the concrete pad. Four flagpoles surround this grouping. One flies the American flag, one the
Confederate national flag, one the Confederate battle flag and one a Revolutionary War era
Images: Back inscription | Grouping of three monuments | Monuments and flagpoles
Front: IN MEMORY OF, / THE SIX SONS OF THOMAS AND MARY AVERA. / THEY LEFT
AVERASBORO TO SERVE NORTH CAROLINA / IN THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES. / ONLY JOHN
DANIEL AVERA RETURNED. / ISSAC AVERA - CO. K, 38TH REGIMENT / 1826-1863 / LUCIAN AVERA
– Co. F, 15 REGIMENT / 1830-1863 / JOHN DANIEL AVERA – CO.B, 10TH BATTALION / 1832-1900
/ WILLIAM RUFUS AVERA – CO.B, 10TH BATTALION / 1835-1864 / CALVIN A. AVERA – CO. F, 15TH
BATTALION / 1842-1862
Rear: [Lists of names of donors]
May 19, 2012
35.307110 , -78.679580 View in Geobrowse
North Carolina History Project. "Averasboro (Town of)," (accessed June 25, 2014) Link
Phone interview with Bryan Avery by Russell Long on August 27, 2015
Bryan Avery and Avery descendants
Of the five sons that did not return from the Civil War, four died of disease. The fifth died of wounds
received at the battle of Chancellorsville.
The site is a permanent private easement to Bryan Avery but within a few feet of the public right of way. The public may access the site. The easement for the site was provided by Wade Hampton West.
The monument stands on the northwest corner of a four way intersection, Salt Market Street and Norris Road run east-west, and Chicora Road runs north-south. The monument forms a triangle, along with a marker to Company B, 10th Regiment NC Heavy Artillery and Olde Averasborough Monument.
The monument stands on the grass in rural area outside the town of Erwin.