Battle of Plymouth Memorial, Plymouth
The Battle of Plymouth marker consists of a black granite block with a low pyramid shaped top on single base of gray granite and a granite foundation. It stands approximately five feet tall and is incised with battle scenes in each corner of the front face in addition to the inscription.
HONOR TO WHOM HONOR IS DUE / DEDICATED / TO THE MEMORY OF / CIVILIANS AND MILITARY FORCES / ENGAGED AT THE / BATTLE OF PLYMOUTH / 17-20 APRIL 1864
Port-O-Plymouth Museum, Washington County Historical Society
April 27, 2014
35.868910 , -76.741900 View in Geobrowse
Civil War Sites: The Official Guide To The Civil War Discovery Trail, (Globe Pequot, Nov 1, 2007), 134, (accessed November 24, 2015) Link
Battle of Plymouth, NC 2014 (Fall of Fort Compher reenactment), YouTube.com, (accessed December 2015) Link
Guildford Greys, Co. B, 27th North Carolina Troops, http://www.guilfordgreys.com, (accessed November 24, 2015) Link
Washington County Historical Society, http://www.livinghistoryweekend.com/, (accessed November 24, 2015) Link
“The 150th Commemoration Only Comes Once,” Roanoke Beacon (Roanoke, NC), April 23, 2014, 4-5 Link
Plymouth Pilgrims Descendants Society
With participants in Civil War period dress, the dedication took place at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 27, 2014 just prior to a re-enactment of the Battle of Plymouth. The ceremony was part of a two day event commemorating the 150th anniversary of the battle. Prior to the dedication a worship service and a North/South Memorial Service and Wreath laying took place at the Roanoke River Lighthouse.
In 1862 Union troops occupied Plymouth to control the mouth of the Roanoke River. These
forces with the assistance of Union sympathizers, freemen and runaway slaves eventually
constructed four forts to protect the town. During the second largest Civil War battle in North
Carolina, fought April 17-20, 1864, Confederate forces retook the town with the aid of the
ironclad CSS Albemarle only to lose it again a few months later.
The first Battle of Plymouth marker was dedicated on June 19, 1928. It is located at the corner of the courthouse building, at 120 Adams Street, Plymouth, NC.
The monument is located near East Main Street and Rankin Lane at the Fort Compher historical site, Plymouth, NC.
The memorial is surrounded by open fields and wooded area.
Since 1990, in April of each year the Port-O-Plymouth Museum and Washington County Historical Society have held Living History Weekends with battle re-enactments.