John Lawson Marker, Bath
The marker to John Lawson is a metal pole mounted sign with a low serpentine top. It is painted black with white lettering.
JOHN LAWSON / 1674 – 1711 / NATURALIST, EXPLORER, AND SURVEYOR / GENERAL FOR THE
LORDS PROPRIETORS, / JOHN LAWSON TRAVELED THE INTERIOR / OF THE CAROLINA COLONY
IN 1700-1701. / HE DESCRIBED THE 550 MILE JOURNEY / IN A NEW VOYAGE TO CAROLINA, /
PUBLISHED IN 1709. LAWSON WAS / KILLED BY TUSCARORA INDIANS WHILE / EXPLORING THE
NEUSE RIVER IN / 1711. HIS HOUSE STOOD NEARBY.
City of Bath
March 8, 2005
35.471890 , -76.814550 View in Geobrowse
Holman, Charles R., “Lawson, John,” NCPedia.org, (accessed January 8, 2016) Link
Lawson, John. A New Voyage to Carolina; Containing the Exact Description and Natural History of That Country: Together with the Present State Thereof. And a Journal of a Thousand Miles, Travel'd Thro' Several Nations of Indians. Giving a Particular Account of Their Customs, Manners, &c. London: [s.n.], 1709. Link
“John Lawson 1674 – 1711,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed January 8, 2016) Link
“New Bath Historical Markers Dedicated,” North Carolina Historic Sites, http://www.nchistoricsites.org, (accessed January 8, 2019) Link
The Society of Colonial Wars
The dedication was held on Bath’s 300th anniversary, March 8, 2005, along with other anniversary festivities. Speakers for the event were Henry Alexander Phillips, Deputy Governor General, The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of North Carolina and N.C. Department of Cultural Resources Deputy Secretary Dr. Jeffrey Crow. Myron Banks of the society was recognized for his significant role in raising the funds for the marker.
John Lawson was a key figure in early North Carolina history. His 1709 book, A New Voyage to Carolina introduced much of Europe to the New World. He was an early promoter of colonialization of the Carolina territories and was a founder of Bath in 1705 and New Bern in 1710. He was killed by Tuscarora Indians while on a trip to explore the Neuse River. His death was the opening act of the Tuscarora War (1711-1715)
The marker is located on S. Main Street. It is on the left near a white picket fence that surrounds the historic Bonner House as one nears the intersection with Front Street. The Bonner House faces Front Street.
The marker stands on the grass, across from a little park and Bath Creek.