Robeson County War Memorial, Lumberton
The War Memorial consists of three tall rectangular slabs of marble on a single base. The center
slab is taller and wider than the two flanking slabs. The monument is six feet wide and seven
tall. Originally freestanding, the memorial is now incorporated into a brick wall with several
other markers at a courtyard behind the Robeson County Courthouse. The center slab contains
the inscriptions above which is incised an American eagle with wings opened to form a circle
around which is 13 stars. The left flanking slab has incised the Army and Navy crest. The right
slab is also incised with two symbols. One is the Marine Corp crest but the other is a “Prop and
Wings” insignia. This symbol was used until 1947 by the Army Air Corp and is currently worn by
cadets at the Air Force academy but was otherwise not adopted by the Air Force. It is not
known why this symbol was used in place of one for the Air Force.
Images: Courtyard with the War Memorial and other markers
HONORING ALL WHO / SERVED AND IN / EVERLASTING MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF ROBESON / COUNTY WHO MADE THE / SUPREME SACRIFICE IN / WORLD WAR I / WORLD WAR II / KOREAN CONFLICT / VIETNAM CRISIS / DEDICATED ON / JUNE 7, 1970 / BY THE LUMBERTON / JAYCEES
June 7, 1970
34.620200 , -79.007840 View in Geobrowse
"Robeson County Court House, Lumberton, N.C." Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link
On June 7, 1970, the Sunday afternoon dedication ceremony was preceded with a concert by the 82nd Airborne Division Band. Lt. General John J. Tolson commander of 82nd Airborne was the featured speaker. The unveiling was performed by members of the Jaycees.
The 1932 Historic Courthouse was torn down in 1974. The present courthouse was opened in 1977 at the same address.
The War Memorial stands in a courtyard behind the Robeson County Courthouse that is located at 500 N. Elm Street, Lumberton.
The courtyard occupies the corner of N. Court Square Street and N. Chestnut Street. This courtyard contains plaques to Colonel Thomas Robeson, the George Washington Tree, George G. McPhail, Jr., and General John Willis. Also behind the courthouse to the left of the courtyard is an Appalachian Indian Road (Boone Trail Highway) plaque attached to a large arrowhead.
In front of the Courthouse is the Confederate Monument.
A 1939 bronze plaque to Robeson County War Dead is located inside the courthouse. It replaced a wooden painted tablet placed in March 1919.
The paved courtyard with the memorial and plaques is surrounded by bushes and trees.
News photos of the dedication show the War Memorial standing near the Confederate Monument in front of the old courthouse. When the new courthouse was constructed the Confederate Monument was again placed in front of the building and the War Memorial was relocated to the courtyard.