Lord Cornwallis Marker, Jamestown
The marker consists of a simple bronze plaque attached to a large four foot high rock. In
addition to the inscription the plaque has the spinning wheel insignia of the Daughters of the
Images: Plaque | Far-off view
LORD CORNWALLIS / WITH 2400 BRITISH SOLDIERS / FORDED DEEP RIVER AT THIS POINT / AND
CAMPED ON ITS LEFT BANK, / ONE MILE UPSTREAM / PRIOR TO THE BATTLE OF / GUILFORD
COURTHOUSE, / MARCH 15TH, 1781. / THIS BATTLE WAS A DETERMINING / FACTOR IN THE
ESTABLISHMENT OF / AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE
ERECTED BY THE ALEXANDER MARTIN CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / HIGH POINT, N.C. / 1934
City of Jamestown
March 8, 1934
35.992820 , -79.946130 View in Geobrowse
“Lord Cornwallis Marker Unveiled At Jamestown,” Statesville Record And Landmark,” (Statesville, NC), March 9, 1934, 6
“Lord Cornwallis.” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed February 20, 2016) Link
Alexander Martin Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
Mrs. Sydney P. Cooper, state regent of the Daughters of the American Revolution, delivered the address. Mrs. H.A. Millis accepted the marker on behalf of the local parks and juvenile commission.
The memorial is located in the southeast corner of City Lake Park. It can be seen from W. Main Street where it crosses the Deep River. The entrance to the park is at the intersection of East Parkside Drive and Main Street in Jamestown, NC.
The marker stands in a grassy area of the city public park, with nearby picnic tables and shady trees.