Vance County Korean War Memorial, Henderson
The memorial is a small lectern shaped granite block that lists the name of the men from Vance County who died during the Korean War. The inscription includes their names, rank, branch of the military and date of death. This memorial stands in a line with a Vietnam War and Iraq War Memorials.
Images: Three memorials on Young Street | View of the memorials along Young Street | Side view of the memorials on Young Street
FOR GOD AND COUNTRY / 1950 1955 /
KOREAN WAR /
IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO / GAVE THEIR LIVES IN / DEFENSE OF FREEDOM /
VANCE COUNTY, N.C.
GENTILE, CHARLES M. PVT ARMY 6 SEPT 1952 /
HEARDIN, UNCAS B PFC ARMY 18 MAY 1951 /
HEFNER, IVAN F. CPL ARMY 12 OCT 1951 /
IVEY CHARLES E PFC ARMY 29 NOV 1950 /
JORDAN, FRED O. SGT ARMY 13 OCT 1951 /
JOHNSON, WILLIAM C. PFC ARMY 24 JUNE 1953
MITCHELL, RUSSELL Y. ILT ARMY 13 AUG 1950 /
SALTZ, EARL C. PFC ARMY 16 JULY 1953 /
WARD, JAMES E. PFC ARMY 21 JULY 1953 /
WATKINS, SMAUEL K. PVT ARMY 14 FEB 1951 /
ERECTED BY /
POST 60. THE AMERICAN LEGION /
September 30, 2003
36.328090 , -78.402090 View in Geobrowse
"Vance County Korean War Memorial" by Lesley Looper, courtesy of Flickr.com, (accessed January 21, 2019) Link
Borden, Sidney, Steven Chickos, and Daniel Jourdan. "The Korean War: North Carolina's Commemoration of the 'Forgotten War'," uploaded February 4, 2014, YouTube, (accessed February 4, 2014) Link
This monument was erected by Post 60 of the American Legion.
This memorial and at least five other markers are located along Young Street near the intersection with N. Garnett St. in Henderson, NC. They are positioned along the sidewalk that runs next to Henderson Fire Department-Station #2. Near this memorial on Young street are the Vance County Iraq War, Vance County Vietnam War, World War Two memorials, a “Rebel” firehouse dog memorial and time capsule. Further north on the grounds of the old Vance County Courthouse is the Leonard Henderson marker.
The memorial stands on the grass along the sidewalk.
This memorial, along with several others, was originally located in a small park near the railroad underpass on North Garnett Street across the street from First Methodist Church. It was surrounded by evergreen trees and shrubs. Geo coordinates: 36.328310 , -78.40098. The relocation occurred after 2019.