Civil War Horses Memorial, Bentonville Battlefield, Four Oaks
Cary J. van Dansik, Netherlands, Sculptor
The memorial to Civil War horses depicts the head of a moving horse in artillery gear. It has a
Confederate States insignia on one side of the head and a United States insignia on the other
side and was cast in bronze. The head rests on a three piece granite base. The bottom section is
a square block; the center section is cylinder shaped piece about two feet tall with a slab
several inches thick on top.
Images: Rear view | Right side view | Left side view | Commission inscription
Front: REMEMBERING THEIR COURAGE AND LOYALTY, / NEVER FORGETTING THEIR SACRIFICE. /
1861 – 1865
35.303630 , -78.315920 View in Geobrowse
The sculptor, Cary J. van Dansik, specializes in equine bronze portraiture and bronze sculpture. From the sculptor's website, by clicking on “Galery of the past” and scrolling down one may view photos of the horse during its creation and installation.
The memorial is located on a private property with public access, about 100 yards off Harper House Road at the battlefield driving tour
stop A: Confederate High Tide. A brick walk leads from the parking area to the statue of General
Joseph Johnston. An unpaved walk to the statue's right, in front of an unoccupied house, leads
to the Civil War horse memorial. Further down the walk is a memorial to the 123rd Regiment New York State Volunteers.
Other memorials at Bentonville Battleground include Bentonville Battlefield Memorial, Texas Soldiers Monument, Union Monument, North Carolina Confederate Soldiers, and Confederate Monument.
The memorial stands along a wood line facing a large open field that is still part of a working farm located on the Bentonville Battlefield. In the middle of this field is a small private memorial by Morris Farm to those who fought a Bentonville.