World War Two Memorial, Tuxedo
A large attractive bronze plaque is attached to a slab of granite five feet wide and four feet
high. The plaque inscriptions are framed by olive branches on each side. The serpentine shaped
top is decorated with undetermined foliage and an eagle with spread wings. Six columns of
names fill the area beneath the inscription.
Images: World War Two Memorial (current location, after 2017) | Memorial to the mill founder, Robert William Boys | View of World War Two and Robert William Boys memorials | Plaque (previous location, before 2017) | Far-off view (previous location, before 2017)
DEDICATED / IN HONOR OF THE MEN OF / TUXEDO AND GREEN RIVER TOWNSHIP / WHO ANSWERED THE CALL OF THEIR COUNTRY / IN WORLD WAR TWO / [Six columns with 166 names]
Henderson County Parks and Recreation Department
July 4, 1947
35.225230 , -82.428520 View in Geobrowse
Green River Mills
The dedication and wreath-laying was organized by Robert W. Boys, president of Green River Mills. The Hendersonville Municipal Band provided music and a color guard troop was present.
Tuxedo Park stands on the former site of Green River Mills that originally sponsored the memorial.
The monument is located at Tuxedo Park, 1299 Old US 25 Hwy Zirconia, (Tuxedo) NC 28790.
The memorial stands in front of a playground and picnic shelter at a 6 acre public park. The site occupies a former textile mill site. A memorial to the mill founder, Robert William Boys, stands a few feet away.
The memorial first stood at 1286 Old US 25 Highway in Tuxedo (Zirconia), NC in front of a building that houses Tuxedo Community Store and the Tuxedo Salon. It was relocated in 2017 during Phase II construction of Tuxedo Park. It stood on a small lawn area with mature plants and bushes that have grown taller than the memorial.