Source: No photo available
Daniel Boone’s Trail, Elkville
The memorial consisted of a rectangular cast iron plaque attached to a stone slab embedded in the ground. It was destroyed when a massive flood in 1916 ripped through the Upper Yadkin River valley.
DANIEL BOONE’S TRAIL / FROM / NORTH CAROLINA TO KENTUCKY / 1769 / MARKED BY THE N.C. DAUGHTERS OF THE / AMERICAN REVOLUTION
Jones, Randell. Trailing Daniel Boone, Daughters Of The American Revolution Marking Daniel Boone’s Trail, 1912-1915, (Winston-Salem, NC: Daniel Boone Footsteps, 2012)
“North Carolina Daniel Boone Heritage Trail,” North Carolina Daniel Boone Heritage Trail, Inc., (accessed January 11, 2016) Link
“North Carolina Joins In Boone Trail Movement,” Asheville-Gazette News, (Asheville, NC), November 10, 1914, 3
“The Trail Taken by Boone Through State Now Marked,” News and Observer, (Raleigh, NC), July 11, 1915, 17
Cast iron, stone
Daughters of the American Revolution
Daniel Boone’s marked trail begins at Boone Cave Park in Davidson County, NC, crosses the
Yadkin River at the Shallow Ford near Huntsville, and ends at Fort Boonesborough, Kentucky,
where Boone served during the American Revolution. In 1913 Daughters of the American
Revolution (DAR) Chapters placed 13 markers along the North Carolina portion of the trail
which mostly follows Old US Highway 421. Mrs. Lindsay Patterson of Winston-Salem chaired
the project that eventually erected 45 tablets in North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and
Kentucky. At the Cumberland Gap (Tennessee) the four states combined to erect a single
Daniel Boone is famous for exploring the American frontier beyond the Appalachian Mountains. He blazed one of the trails that opened up areas west of the Appalachian’s to increased European settlement. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1734, lived in the Yadkin Valley, North Carolina from 1752-1769, where he married Rebecca Bryan, raised a large family, and traded animal furs. He died in Missouri in 1820 and is buried in Kentucky.
The exact location is unknown, but it was near the confluence of Elk Creek and the Yadkin River.