Western Carolina Baptist Convention, Hendersonville
The Western Baptist Convention monument is a large slab of granite rock seven-feet tall and almost five-feet wide. The front face has been carved out as a setting for the larger primary inscription plaque and a smaller dedication plaque. The dedication plaque is centered several inches above the 36-inches wide by 30-inches high primary plaque. Both plaques are bronze and unadorned aside from the inscriptions.
Images: Plaques | Far-off view
Primary plaque: WESTERN BAPTIST CONVENTION / ON AUGUST 30, 1845, DELEGATES FROM NINETEEN CHURCHES OF SALEM, / TUCKASEIGEE, AND VALLEY RIVER ASSOCIATIONS MET AT BOILING SPRINGS / CAMP GROUND, LOCATED HERE, AND FORMED THE WESTERN CONVENTION / AUXILIARY TO THE BAPTIST STATE CONVENTION OF NORTH CAROLINA. THE / FIRST OFFICERS WERE JERU CHRISTIAN, PRESIDENT; JAMES BLYTHE, FIRST / VICE PRESIDENT; MERRIT RICHMAN, SECOND VICE PRESIDENT; THOMAS MORRIS / RECORDING SECRETARY; ELISHA KING, CORRESPONDING SECRETARY; AND / EPAPHRODITUS HIGHTOWER, TREASURER.
IN 1857 THIS BODY DECLARED ITSELF AN INDEPENDENT ORGANIZATION / ENTITLED THE WESTERN BAPTIST COVENTION OF NORTH CAROLINA. ON / OCTOBER 21, 1898, THE WESTERN CONVENTION MEETING WITH THE / HENDERSONVILLE CHURCH, VOTED TO DISSOLVE AND TO UNITE ITS NINE / ASSOCIATIONS WITH THE STATE CONVENTION. THEIR DELEGATES WERE / RECEIVED INTO THE STATE ORGANIZATION ON DECEMBER 9, 1898.
Dedication Plaque: ERECTED AUGUST 5, 1958 / BY THE / HISTORICAL COMMISSION / OF THE / BAPTIST STATE CONVENTION / OF / NORTH CAROLINA
August 5, 1958
35.287150 , -82.478760 View in Geobrowse
"MS 80, Western North Carolina Baptist Convention Records," Z. Smith Reynolds Library Special Collections and Archives, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA. Link
“Hendersonville Man Renamed Carolina Association Moderator,” Asheville Citizen-Times (Asheville, NC), August 6, 1958
“Western Baptist Convention - Hendersonville, NC,” Waymarking.com, (accessed November 15, 2016) Link
State Baptist Convention of North Carolina
The Western North Carolina Baptist Convention was in existence from 1845-1898.
The memorial marker is located in front of the parking lot of Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Church near the corner of Price Road and Kanuga Rd. The church address is 409 E. Patterson Street, Hendersonville, NC.
The marker stands on the church lawn, under a shady tree.