General William Lee Davidson Memorial, Huntersville
This memorial to General Davidson is a pillar constructed of local stone and rock standing roughly eight feet tall with a metal plaque attached. It is one of at least four memorials to General Davidson in the Charlotte area with one of the later ones (1971) at the same location. The marker was originally placed at the spot where General Davidson fell during the battle of Chowan’s Ford on February 1, 1781. It had been lost to history but was rediscovered by a bulldozer driver as land was being cleared for the McGuire Nuclear Station at Lake Norman. Duke Energy had the pillar relocated to the General Davidson Memorial Area.
CHOWAN’S FORD. / WHERE FELL / THE REVOLUTIONARY HERO, / GENL. WH LEE DAVIDSON. / 1781. / ERECTED BY / E.L. BAXTER DAVIDSON.
"Rich History," Town of Huntersville, (accessed June 12, 2014) Link
"The Davidson Monument Again," The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), April 14, 1887 Link
Davidson, Chalmers G. “Davidson, William Lee,” NCPedia.org, (accessed January 23, 2017) Link
Graham, William Alexander. "General William Lee Davidson," (Greensboro, NC: Guilford Battle Ground Co., 1906), (accessed May 25, 2012) Link
United States Congressional Record. "Nash and Davidson Monuments: Full Text of the Debate Between Congressmen Cannon and Kitchin," from the U.S. Congressional Record, 57th Congress, First Session, Washington, D.C., July 1, 1902, (accessed February 6, 2012) Link
“Battle of Cowans Ford,” Benjamin Cleveland Chapter, D.A.R., (accessed November 29, 2015) Link
Edward Lee Baxter Davidson
General Davidson was killed in a delaying action skirmish known as the Battle of Chowan’s Ford.
Although technically a defeat, this action delayed the British long enough for the Patriot army
under General Nathanial Greene to escape to Guildford Courthouse and prepare for the battle
that was a turning point in the Revolutionary War.
Edward Lee Baxter Davidson was proud of his ancestry and also placed and paid for several markers in the Charlotte area to relatives who were prominent during the American Revolution including The Battle of McIntyre’s Farm marker and Major John Davidson. He was a member of the North Carolina Historical Society and served as a District Vice President of the Sons of the American Revolution.
The General William Lee Davidson Grave is located at the cemetery of Hopewell Presbyterian Church, at 10500 Beatties Ford Road Huntersville, NC 28078.
Davidson College, County and City are all named for General William Davidson.
The General Davidson Memorial park area is located across from Duke Energy’s McGuire Nuclear Station, in Huntersville, NC.
This memorial stands in a small park designed by a landscape architect Jack Hurst. The park was designed for the 1971 General Davidson Memorial which includes a Revolutionary War era cannon.
The maker had to be relocated in 1971 for construction of the McGuire Nuclear Station near Lake Norman. A 1971 news article noted that the original location is now submerged.