Lord Charles Cornwallis Marker, Wilmington
The marker is a simple stone slab, approximately two feet tall with an angled front face. It features an inscription commemorating the house where General Charles Cornwallis resided during the British occupation of Wilmington in 1781. It is very similar to the other markers placed by the New Hanover Historical Commission at a number of historical sites in Wilmington.
THIS BUILDING WAS / OCCUPIED BY LORD / CHARLES CORNWALLIS / COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF / THE BRITISH ARMY, / IN APRIL, 1781. / IN THE BASEMENT WAS / A MILITARY PRISON / NEW HANOVER HISTORICAL COMMISSION. / A.J. HOWELL. E.S. MARTIN. / JAMES SPRUNT. W.A. MCGIRT.
City of Wilmington
June 9, 1919
34.235440 , -77.946080 View in Geobrowse
“All Markers Now In Place in County,” The Wilmington Morning Star (Wilmington, NC), January 28, 1921
“Charles Cornwallis,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed July 27, 2017) Link
“Exercises Held at Historic Markers,” The Wilmington Morning Star (Wilmington, NC), June 10, 1919
“Historic Spots Will Be Marked,” The Wilmington Morning Star (Wilmington, NC), January 15, 1920
“Site of Tryon’s House Is Marked,” The Wilmington Morning Star (Wilmington, NC), May 9, 1919
New Hanover Historical Commission and North Carolina Historical Commission
This marker along with 12 others were dedicated in one combined ceremony on June 9, 1919. Superintendent John J. Blain opened the ceremony on behalf of the school system followed by remarks by Rev. Andrew J. Howell who made remarks on the work of the North Carolina Historical Commission.
This marker was one in a series of 20 or 21 historical spots marked in New Hanover County between 1919 and 1921 by the New Hanover Historical Commission with support of the North Carolina Historical Commission. The series includes Beery's and Cassidy's [Cassidey's] Shipyards, George Washington and Henry Clay, William Tryon and William Houston and several other markers.
The marker is at the intersection of North 3rd Street (U.S. 74) and Market Street, on the right when traveling south on North 3rd Street in Wilmington, NC.
The memorial marker stands on the grass shaded by a mature tree, between 3rd Street and Burgwin-Wright Museum and Gardens.