Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title Interp. Sign. Chicken Coop (currently located at Puckett Cabin) Frame Granary in background (razed).
Date 1947
Description Image of an interpretive sign in the Mabry Mill area near milepost 176.1, section 1T of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sign reads "Mabry Mill/Built and operated from 1910 to/1935 by E.B. Mabry. This gristmill,/sawmill and the nearby blacksmith/shop illustrate the fact that, well/into the 20th century. Mountain/communities often depended upon/one man's ingenuity to create/machinery needed to produce many of the necessities of life./United States Department of Interior/National Park Service." There are two unidentified wooden structures behind the sign, as well as a split-rail fence. Image taken from the National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway Headquarters. Photograph was taken in 1947; photographer is unknown.
Location Location Name: Mabry Mill (Va.)
Parkway Milepost: 176.1
Latitude: 36.75
Longitude: -80.404722
Tags Fences
Floyd County (Va.)
Interpretive development
Mabry Mill (Va.)
Photographs
Signs and signboards
Structures
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway