Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title Black Camp Gap. C.C. Camp in Gap
Date August 20, 1935
Description Photo of Black Camp in the 1930s, before the Parkway section 2Y was built. Exact location is Heintooga Spur, where there is also a picnic area. Taken by Edward H. Abbuehl on August 20, 1935. Milepost 3.3S
Commentary This gives us an idea of life before the Parkway. Black Camp was a popular place for people to spend leisure time. Several panoramic views included in this photo selection are taken from Black Camp, indicating that it was a favorite vantage point from which to see the surrounding landscape around. The tents are all alike and neatly organized, almost in military fashion. The "CC" stands for the Civilian Conservation Corps, nicknamed the "tree army" because they were concerned with environmental issues before the green movement. In the 30s, as part of the New Deal, the CC recruited young men and they planted trees to combat soil erosion, were concerned with pollution in rivers and its effect on the local fauna, built bridges and installed phone lines, etc. The first CC camp was opened in Virginia in the 30s. The camps were under the management of the army. They recruited amongst unemployed young men who were trying to earn a little bit of money to support their families. During the war, when most of the Parkway staff went to war and the CC program ended (in 1942), under Weems' leadership, the Parkway received the Conscientious Objector camps who continued the work of the CCC men. (source: Harley, Jolley, Blue Ridge Parkway, 1985).
Location Location Name: Section 2Y
Parkway Milepost: None
Latitude: 35.509889
Longitude: -83.179167
Creator Individual Edward H. Abbuehl
Creator Organization National Park Service—Blue Ridge Parkway
Tags Black Camp Gap (N.C.)
Campgrounds
Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
Heintooga Spur (N.C.)
Jackson County (N.C.)
Photographs
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway