Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title Roaring Gap Hotel Detail Stone Work on the North Wing
Date September 18, 1935
Description Detailed stonework on the North wing of the Roaring Gap Hotel near milepost 229.6, section 2B of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Commentary The Roaring Gap Hotel originally opened in 1894 and was known for its luxurious accommodations and amenities. The Roaring Gap Hotel burned down in 1914 and the Greystone Hotel was built to replace it nearby. The Greystone Hotel served as a vacation retreat for wealthier travelers of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Today it operates as Roaring Gap Club and remains largely unchanged from the way it was originally built.
Location Location Name: Roaring Gap
Parkway Milepost: 230.0
Latitude: 36.40291
Longitude: -80.98536
Creator Individual Edward H. Abbuehl
Tags Alleghany County (N.C.)
Doors
Photographs
Roaring Gap Club (N.C.)
Roaring Gap (N.C.)
Stone carving
Stonemasonry
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway