Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title F. Miller Place, Doughton Park
Title Note negative 683, classification no. 630
Date 20th Century
Description View of the F. Miller place (which appears to be a cabin or a house) near the Bluff near or on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Image taken from the National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway Headquarters.
Commentary The original name of The Bluffs comes from the 1000' cliff contained within the park. Most of the park is forested, but it is also known for its wide open, grassy meadows. Doughton Park was the largest area acquired under the Resettlement Administration, at 5410.3 acres, and remains the largest recreation area on the North Carolina section of the Parkway. The original name of Bluffs Park was renamed in the early 1950s to Doughton Park in honor of retired Congressman and long-time Parkway supporter Robert L. Doughton, a native of the region whose family once owned much of the acquired land.
Location Location Name: Bluffs
Parkway Milepost: 239.0
Latitude: 36.40596
Longitude: -81.17425
Tags Bluff District (N.C.)
Bluff Park (N.C.)
Building
Doughton Park (N.C.)
Fences
Landscape
Miller, F.
Photographs
Scenery
Structures
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway