Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title Trailer camp
Date 1946
Description Tourists at a trailer camp in Doughton Park off of section 2C of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Image taken from the National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway Headquarters and taken by Abbie Rowe in 1946.
Commentary Doughton Park was the largest area acquired under the Resettlement Administration, at 5410.3 acres, and remains the largest recreation area on the North Carolina section of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The original name of Bluffs Park was renamed in the early 1950s to Doughton Park in honor of retired Congressman and long-time Blue Ridge Parkway supporter Robert L. Doughton.
Location Location Name: Doughton Park
Parkway Milepost: 241.0
Latitude: 36.40596
Longitude: -81.17425
Creator Individual Abbie Rowe
Tags Automobiles
Campers (Persons)
Campgrounds
Doughton Park (N.C.)
Landscape
Leisure
People
Photographs
Recreational areas
Trailers
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway